15 March 2007

No way to run a railway

If I were a railways commuter in the south-east of England (which thank the Lord I'm not sir), I doubt if I would be impressed with wee Dougie's announcement. The Guardian reports:
Rail passengers face annual inflation-busting fare rises into the next decade after the government announced a £1bn investment in carriages to ease overcrowding. A passenger watchdog said yesterday it expected season ticket prices to rise by at least 1% above inflation for the foreseeable future to fund the expansion of the overloaded rail network.
Douglas Alexander, the transport secretary, said the government would buy 1,000 extra train carriages between 2009 and 2014 to ease sardine-like conditions on the worst affected routes.

Oh great, continued overcrowding for at least two years and possibly seven years.

I'm not even going to begin to discuss why the government has to buy the carriages in the first place...

No comments: