27 February 2008

Every little bit helps?

I fear that this is the same organisation that, every Tuesday morning, cheerfully (despite my residence in a tenement top flat) and efficiently delivers my groceries. The Guardian reports:
Tesco has created an elaborate corporate structure involving offshore tax havens which enables it to avoid paying what could be up to £1bn of tax on profits from the sale of its UK properties.
The complex new structures uncovered by a six-month Guardian investigation include a string of Cayman Island companies, each named after a different colour, from aqua to violet. These are being used by the supermarket giant as it proceeds with its announced programme to sell and lease back £6bn worth of its UK stores.
The stores are being sold to external investors providing Tesco with a big one-off gain which, ordinarily, would be liable to tax, while allowing it to remain in the stores and pay rent to the new owners.

And thus another corporation confirms its place among the bad guys. Not that I really had any prior illusions, but I thought that maybe they were trying a bit harder.

Oh aye, and Prince Alois need not expect any sympathy from me.

No comments: