15 March 2011

And you wonder why I'm depressed?

I despair when I see that Scottish Labour is taking the path of least resistance by opting for a council tax freeze and abandoning any plans to reform the council tax. They have even ruled out a revaluation of the property database, so that the council tax bands will continue to be based on the property values of the early 1990s. (Not that the SNP is any better: what happened to the proposed local income tax?)

I despair when I see that Scottish Labour (again like the SNP) has opted to continue with an unsustainable policy of wilfully denying the need for student fees (or graduate contributions).

I despair when I see that Scottish Labour is descending into an imagined populism of resurrecting ASBOs - despite their abject failure last time round.

If Scottish political parties are not prepared to address the real problems facing our country, is there any point to a Scottish Parliament?

1 comment:

Annabel said...

Re if Scottish political parties are not prepared to address the real problems facing our country

The Tories are!