24 August 2014

Why football managers lack common sense

1.  Van Gaal of Man Utd bidding £60m for di Maria, an Argentinian winger

Obvious from last week's first match that Man Utd's desperate need is for a holding defensively-minded midfield player, not yet another attacker.

2.  Rodgers of Liverpool looking to sign Balotelli

How daft can you get?  Every centre-half in the Premier League will seek to wind him up.  And no doubt successfully ...

 
Update:  From The Observer (here):
Mourinho reckons his book of Balotelli anecdotes would stretch to 200 pages and the one he likes to tell the most is a belter. “We went to play Rubin Kazan in the Champions League. All my other strikers were injured. No Diego Milito, no Samuel Eto’o. I was really in trouble. Mario got a yellow card in the 42nd minute and when I got into the dressing room at half-time I spent 14 minutes of the 15 available speaking to Mario. I said to him: ‘Mario, I can’t change you, I have no strikers on the bench, don’t touch anybody and play only the ball. Mario, if someone provokes you, don’t react. If we lose the ball, no reaction. If the referee makes a mistake, no reaction.” A pause. “The 46th minute: red card.”

No comments: