07 February 2008

Budget thoughts

It's probably my fault. I'm just not bright enough to understand. I mean, Scottish Labour is led by these great intellects - Wendy, Iain Gray, Andy Kerr. They know what they're doing, don't they? They must have had a strategy to guide them through the budget process.

A policy of non-cooperation with the other parties was part of the plan, right? And if they did not achieve any changes to the budget in the initial stages, well who am I to question the grand design? Eventually, they got an amendment accepted, even if it does not seem to mean very much in terms of actual cash.

They voted against the budget two weeks ago, then yesterday they abstained. What was that all about? Beats me.

OK, the SNP Government is banging on about a great triumph, and the Scottish Labour leadership looks a bit clueless. Hell, even the Tories seem to have won a victory of sorts.

Look, I'm sure that, after mature reflection, Iain and Wendy will be able to explain it to us. Won't they? Won't they?

No comments: