02 April 2008

More money than sense

What exactly was the point of the BBC sending George Alagiah (and no doubt a cameraman and a producer) to southern Africa to present the 6 o'clock news? As they keep telling us, the BBC has been banned from Zimbabwe and, as a result, George did what he does from a spot on the South Africa/Zimbabwe border. If this was supposed to add drama to the news, it failed.

This profligacy comes less than a week after we learned that the BBC team to be sent to Beijing for the Olympics will amount to a mere 437 people, rather more than the number of British competitors.

I like and admire the BBC as an institution but it becomes increasing difficult to defend its carefree ways with the licence fee income.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I often have thoughts along those lines too. Like BBC advertising in billboards up and down the land. We're paying to advertise programmes to ourselves? Makes no sense.

But then I realise just what I get for my £10 a month (or whatever it is) via internet, tv, radio etc and I'm pretty content it's very good value for money...