08 October 2007

Ageist sods

As of next year, English senior citizens will have increased rights to free bus travel. (Not quite as beneficial as those of their Scottish equivalents, but still ...) Anyway, is anyone at The Times celebrating? Not a chance. It's a picture of unremitting gloom: the buses will be overcrowded; the bus companies will lose revenue; the local authorities will need to increase subsidies. Miserable bastards. Wait till they're over 60.

And, no. I've still got two years to wait before I qualify.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe so, but have you recently tried to get a rush hour bus home in Glasgow?! Bunches of pensioners at the end of their leisure days filling the buses... and frankly pretty bolshie about 'expecting' the rest of us to give up our seats at the end of a working day.

I was recently subject to this when I was sitting on a bus after I had stood the entire hard-working shift. I was loaded with my work bag (with work I had to take home) and a bag full of last-minute bought shopping (I don't have all day free to do my).

My great offence of not giving up my seat was the cause of a non-stop petty rant between two of them siting behind me (after they had shamed some one else into giving up their seat) and the couple standing as close as they could get to me. Going by the stink off the two standing, I assume they had been enjoying some cheap day-time prices on alcohol; nice to know what the old bus fare money is now being spent on at the expense of the rest of us.

I'm posting this as anon because I don't want to be subject to any further abuse from sad pensioners (who off course are harmless older people just trying to get through their later years with a bit of dignity and a bit of respect for the currently working folk paying for their pensions and freebies - aye right!)