29 May 2005

Diddums

The Observer appears to want us to feel sorry for call centre operators in India who are increasingly subject to abuse from their customers:
"Workers face a spectrum of rudeness - from sexual harassment to fury at unsolicited sales calls, to open racism. Industry analysts have seen the phenomenon of racist clients grow in recent years, as customers in the UK and the US become increasingly sensitive to the political issue of jobs outsourced to India."

While no-one would condone racist abuse, the daily unsolicited calls I receive from ill-trained Indian call centre operators seem designed to test my patience. But I do not abuse them any more or any differently than the British call centre operators whose teams are forever in my area to fit new windows or who want to know what kind of kitchen I would instal. And the pre-recorded calls advising me of my competition winnings are frustratingly impervious to abuse.

In the circumstances of accumulated obtrusion, is anyone surprised that call centre operators are received less than politely?

No comments: