17 May 2005

"Doesn't mean much - doesn't mean anything at all"

Some of my interlocutors have suggested - not uncritically - that this blog is rather far from being a comprehensive account of Scottish politics. I have to say that this is indeed the case. But, lest any reader misunderstand my editorial policies, I thought it would be helpful to state the principles upon which this blog is based.

1. The work involved in managing, and posting to, this blog is entirely unremunerated and I only do it because and insofar as it amuses me.

2. It follows from principle 1 that I feel no obligation to provide comprehensive or balanced coverage of political events. The matters on which I choose to post are entirely and utterly selective.

3. The main interest of this blog is Scottish politics but that will not prevent me from posting on other matters if I so choose.

4. I will take the occasional day or days off. Scottish politics is not, for me at least, a subject of all consuming interest.

5. Where possible, I will link to original texts, notably speeches and PQ answers in the Parliament and to Scottish Executive press releases. But, bearing in mind that so much political manoeuvring goes on off stage, it is inevitable that I will occasionally link to the dead tree media.

6. The whole idea is to post on issues where I have something to contribute - simple linking without editorial comment will be avoided.

7. I may ignore any of the above principles if I feel like it.

No comments: