14 August 2007

The bonkers blogger opines

At the risk of extending my readers' indulgence a little further (see comments on previous post), I have now read the White Paper. You can read it here.

I have to say that it does not seem to me like a sop to SNP activists. Indeed, if I were an SNP fundie activist (which thank the Lord I'm not sir), I might be a little upset at the consensual tone of the text and at the apparent willingness to contemplate an outcome which may well fall short of independence.

Conversely, one is led to wonder why Messrs MacConnell, Stephen and Goldie are getting their knickers in such a twist. OK, the idea of a national conversation is trite but refusing to participate would seem to be dubious politics. The bold Alex is seen to be prepared to listen, to debate and - apparently - to accept the will of the people. Perhaps it's just spin, perhaps not. Meanwhile, Jack, Nicol and Annabel are throwing their toys out of the pram in a fit of pique.

Incidentally, the White Paper is, I think, well written. Not something I can usually say about Executive documents.

But then, according to some of my interlocutors, I'm probably bonkers ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It just seems that unionists have been used to controlling the narrative, if you like, and are a bit uncomfortable with this new world where the SNP are a respected government and not an opposition party that can be lambasted as dangerous extremists.
Now they are frightened that the old scare tactics aren't working, and that they are no longer in control of the narrative. This recent pact is an attempt to wrest back the initiative, to try and once again channel Scots away from the opportunity for potentially dangerous thinking.