06 August 2007

What's with the belt, then?

Because of my former occupation/location, I used to have to make a lot of flights. Security was always fairly tiresome. When I retired, one of the great pleasures in life was not having to go near an airport. So, until last month, I avoided flying; indeed, the last flight I took was in March 2004.

Needs must, however. And during the last three weeks I have flown to Malaga from Edinburgh and back. Apart from the somewhat ridiculous requirement that any liquid amounting to more than 100 ml in volume is banned (unless of course you buy it in the airport after you have passed through the initial security check), the security arrangements are not significantly different from the early 2000s.

But there is one notable difference. You must take off your belt and put it through the X-ray machine. What for? I cannot conceive of any possible security consideration for such a course of action. After all, they give it back to you, leaving you free during the flight to deploy the belt to throttle an air stewardess, if that is your wont. And, by their nature, belts are not obvious hiding places for guns or explosives. So what, exactly, is the point?

And, no, my trousers did not fall down.

3 comments:

BellgroveBelle said...

I'm nearly certain that it's so the staff can laugh at people whose trousers fall down...

Graeme said...

I assumed it was because almost all belt buckles will set off the alarms. It's a bit embarassing for the 'sagger' lads though for whom it is their only form of support ..

Anonymous said...

It is because knives can be hidden in belts.