24 July 2008

Down to the wire

I have been accused of a certain amount of cynicism with regard to politics, an accusation to which I would cheerfully plead guilty on most occasions. But I have been impressed by the Glasgow East campaign.

Perhaps they were not the most astute candidates ever chosen to run in a by-election; perhaps they were not even the first choice of their respective parties. But I can only admire the sheer effort that the candidates of the four main parties have put in. To them, it matters - and they have shown it matters. And even if you do not believe the tales of the thousands of party activists thrown into the battle, it would be difficult to deny that their parties have fully supported them. It is almost enough to restore my faith in politics.

The saddest part of it is that they will be lucky if more than a third of the electorate bothers to vote.

No comments: