01 August 2008

Not so hot pants

It has nothing to do with the fact that I get excited by Kate Moss. But you have to keep up with fashion, and my current style guru is the wonderful Hadley of The Guardian, a lady whose syntax is as contorted as her views on shorts:
The rise and rise of shorts, in numbers and hem heights, confirms my long-nurtured opinion that, with the exception of poor government funding, nothing has wreaked as much damage on the British fashion world as Kate Moss. Never mind the drug rumours, the sharpness of her hipbones and her impressively consistent taste in moody-looking dark-haired men with an aversion to shaving: no, I'm talking about the clothes she cruelly convinces other people to wear.
Every wrong trend from pirate boots to pixie haircuts has emanated from this young lady, and she continues to prove she is worth more than the millions she gets paid in her ability to convince the British public to wear the daftest things.
Never known to be averse to getting it out, Kate and hotpants were as inevitable a couple as Ronnie Wood and a 20-year-old Russian cocktail waitress, and the fact that she has included them in every single one of her collections for Topshop served to sway the swayable that this is a look they should not only admire in the pages of Grazia, but copy.

Me? No, don't be silly. I'm still wearing shorts I bought ten years ago: M & S, knee-length, respectable, navy blue - you get the picture. But I like to know what I should be wearing if I cared about it.

No comments: