26 July 2006

Dressing up

Marcel Berlins in The Guardian exposes the fatuity of Dr Reid's plan to put the immigration service into uniform:
"On the uniforming of the guardians of our frontiers, I can imagine the conversation. Two potentially illegal entrants (Pies) are talking. Pie 1: "OK, so it's settled, We leave for Britain tomorrow." Pie 2: "No, we can't now. I've just heard the news. Their passport control officers are to wear uniforms in future." Pie 1: "A pox on Dr Reid. All our carefully laid plans have been dashed. We'll have to look for another country to enter illegally."

I should stress that I have nothing personal against Dr Reid. Indeed, back in the good old days, I briefly met the man during a fag break on some official occasion and he was both pleasant and witty. But, as a minister, he does seem to act with an eye to the next day's headlines, even where it would conflict with the principles of good governance.

No comments: