15 May 2008

On getting old

Look, if McCain can still hack it ... The Times seems to think that the oldies are being subjected to unfairness:
... ageism is the only “ism” that one can brazenly get away with these days. You cannot satirise someone's race, gender or disability - but a codger? Fill your boots. I'll admit to ageist moments myself, such as when I'm tutting in the queue for the cash machine and the elderly person at the front is bent double over the keyboard slowly pressing every single option key and always, always requests a receipt. Or driving in the middle lane of the motorway, invariably wearing a flat cap, at 25mph.

Well OK, I admit that I always ask for a receipt from the hole in the wall; but that's because I don't really trust machines. And, while I don't drive, I do occasionally wear a flat cap. Does that make me an old codger? (Probably.)

No comments: