27 June 2008

The Scottish navy


In the 1970s, I had the doubtful pleasure of spending several days on a fisheries protection vessel, including a passage through the Pentland Firth when I was sick as a dog. I see that the Scottish Executive's latest fisheries protection vessel, Hirta, has been commissioned. Press release here.

Good that a long-established tradition in the fisheries protection of naming vessels after Scottish islands (Jura, Westra, Switha, Sulisker) has been maintained. Hirta is part of the St Kilda group.

It is decades since I had any involvement with fish protection and I have been unable to track down the alternative boat-naming traditon that led to Freya, Minna and Norna. I know that the last two featured in Sir Walter Scott's The Pirate. But there is also a link to Scandinavian mythology.

Perhaps someone out there knows the answer?

Sad that the new vessel was built in Poland.

No comments: