23 July 2008

The cult of personality


Ann Treneman of The Times strays away from her usual beat at Westminster to visit the Glasgow East by-election and duly discovers the star of the show:

Alex processed (there is no other word) along the pavement. Music blared out of the centre. By chance it was the Pretenders. “'Cause I gonna make you see, there's nobody else here, no one like me,” they sang. “I'm special, so special! I gotta have some of your attention. Give it to me!”
And how he got it. His minders moved us over so photographers could get a clear shot. “My God, it's like Princess Diana!” gasped one chap, as he gazed at the wall of snappers.
Well, not quite, but, on a grey day in Glasgow East, it felt a bit celeb-crazed. The shoppers loved him. He hugged. He slapped backs. He squeezed arms. He chortled. Talk about acting. He put the others to shame. Do they give Oscars for Best Performance at a By-Election?

It's worth reading the whole thing.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Alex processed (there is no other word) along the pavement.


I'm sure "walked" would have sufficed.