07 July 2008

Guilty as charged

Sometimes, I have to throw out food that has passed its sell-by date. As a single person household, it is invariably the case that I cannot consume a whole loaf of bread before it develops green spots. And if I buy a cabbage, why should I have to eat it for four meals in a row?

But now Gordon is on my case. The BBC reports:
Britons must stop wasting food in an effort to help combat rising living costs, Gordon Brown has said as he travelled to the G8 summit in Japan.
The PM said "unnecessary" purchases were contributing to price rises, and urged people to plan meals in advance and store food properly.
A government study found the UK wastes 4m tonnes of food every year, adding £420 to a family's shopping bills.

I am tempted to ask what's it got to do with him? But I suppose that I should just slink away, trying to put more effort into emptying the fridge before filling it up again. That damn avocado (half price at Tesco's on Saturday) has been sitting on the larder shelf for too long.

No comments: