02 July 2008

Daft as a brush

What to do at Wimbledon when it rains? The Telegraph has the answer:
Jonas Björkman, of Sweden, a Wimbledon veteran, even began collecting the rain.
"I just got to thinking that the rain is so much a part of the fabric and romance of the place, why not start collecting it?" he said.
"I go out and scoop off what I want with a polystyrene cup and decant it into an ice-cream tub to take back to the locker-room. I've got an entire puddle taken from near the Fred Perry statue after an unforecast downpour on the second Tuesday of the 1996 championships that I'm particularly proud of.
"I've got some drain-overflow that Goran Ivanisevic walked through on his way off court during his famous 2001 semi-final against Tim Henman, which is obviously a bit of a collector's item. And I've also got nearly two gallons of water which pooled in the covers during the violent electrical storm which interrupted my first-round match against Mark Petchey in 1994 – which is obviously very personal to me. At the moment, the collection is carefully labelled in plastic vats in my garage in Monaco, but eventually I'm hoping to be able to display it all properly in a cabinet in the sitting-room. It'll be something to show the grandchildren."

There are some strange people in this world.

1 comment:

Bill said...

I felt sure that link was going to take me to a 'Peter Simple' column, but no, it seems not to be a spoof. Amazing ;)