30 January 2010

Quote of the day

Roger Federer (here):
“He’s in his second grand-slam final now and I think the first one’s always a bit tougher than the second one,” he said. “Now that he didn’t win the first one, I think it doesn’t help for the second one around. Plus he’s playing, you know, me, who’s won many grand-slams and has been able to win here three times, so I know what it takes and how to do it, which is definitely an advantage.
“I don’t feel the pressure’s really on me having to do it again because I did it before. I think he really needs it more than I do, so the pressure’s bigger on him. We’ll see how he’s going to handle it. It’s not going to be easy for him, that’s for sure."

There was a time when Mr Federer did not need to indulge in these kinds of mind-games. Intimations of his own mortality, perhaps? We''ll see tomorrow morning ...

No comments: