13 December 2006

Good telly

I am not a great fan of modern television but there remain some programmes worth watching. Last night on BBC2, for example, Heston Blumenthal was discussing his lunatic method of cooking chicken. I ask you, who is going to blanch the chicken twice before cooking it for four and a half hours at 60 degrees celsius? But interesting nonetheless.

The previous evening saw the last in the series of the Monarchy Programme on C4. David Starkey can be a bit pompous at times but he does manage to capture the sweep of history, especially for ignoramuses like me. (Though how he managed to cover George III and Napoleon without mentioning Pitt the Younger escapes me.)

And Saturday last saw the end of the wonderful series on music by Howard Goodall. Much of it was totally incomprehensible. But it was still terrific television.

So, to all those who say that televison today is rubbish I beg to disagree.

No comments: