05 December 2006

Tales of a tablet addict

I blame my mother. When I was a wee laddie, she used to make the tooth-rotting stuff. Anyway, two weeks ago, I was trotting round Tesco on the usual weekly shop, when a bar of tablet jumped off the shelf and into my trolley.

For those not wholly familiar with tablet, I should explain that it a particularly vile Scottish confection, made up of condensed milk (don't ask!), butter and sugar. To say that it is sweet is to understate matters.

It is now being manufactured by Lees - yeah, I know, more if you please - a Scottish company hitherto famous for macaroon bars (again don't ask).

If our esteemed health minister, Andy Kerr, wanted to do something useful (for a change), he would ban it and save the teeth of countless Scottish children.

This week, it was a triple pack of the damn stuff that found its way into the trolley. So if I expire shortly, you will understand that it will have been death by sugar poisoning.

Tomorrow: why irn bru has natural health-giving properties...

1 comment:

Kirk Elder said...

But what, sir, did it taste like? I have not yet experienced a "shop-bought" tablet that did not taste of fire-lighter, and I suspect there may be something about the confection that requires it to be made by one's mother, or at least purchased at a sale-of-work.