06 September 2012

Nostalgia - stuff it

This morning, I had to do something I have not done in twenty years:  I had to change an electric plug.  Men of my vintage used to do this regularly.  For reasons which escape me, this was a man's job.  (I imagine that single women lived wholly in the dark.)  But some EU regulation or other in the 1980s insisted that all electrical appliances came with plugs already attached.  I therefore suppose that this is a mystery to you youngsters.

Changing a plug is not difficult, but it is fiddly.  It was a Spanish plug, but the principle is the same: blue to the left, brown to the right and earth up the middle.  Get it wrong and you'll set the house on fire or electrocute yourself.

But there must be an easier way to supply electricity to appliances.


No comments: