04 January 2006

New year non-resolutions

Alan Coren in The Times experiences some difficulties in making his mind up - I know where he's coming from:
"Since about 1985, I had been reading about showers being better for you than baths. I couldn’t see why, except that you can’t smoke in a shower, but in 1999, I began considering buying a Walkman so that I could listen to Radio 4 in the bath without Mrs Coren shouting from the bedroom for me either to turn it off so that she could sleep or turn it up so that she could hear, a choice I was never able to make; but I did not buy the Walkman, for reasons that will escape
nobody.
If I bought one now, however, it would enable me to listen to Radio 4 in the shower, and I could then think about taking them instead of baths. This January may therefore be the time to reflect on how one would set about buying a Walkman. And which kind.
So I shall very possibly go out in a bit, to walk up and down either Oxford Street or Tottenham Court Road to look in those windows that have several million different things with headphones. Once, of course, I have decided whether it makes more sense to hop on a bus or a Tube than wait for a cab. Or take the car. The car would be quickest, but it would add £8 congestion charge to the bill for the headphone thing I might or might not buy, plus however much it cost me to park, depending on how long I had to walk up and down looking in the windows of whichever street I managed to decide to do it in.
It isn’t easy for me, January."

No comments: