22 September 2006

The awful burden of decision-making

Yesterday in parliament (from here):

Nicola Sturgeon: On Monday this week, the Deputy First Minister said categorically:
"we do not need new nuclear power stations in Scotland."
Does the First Minister agree?

The First Minister: First, and as I have said before, we will not agree to or even consider any new nuclear power stations in Scotland until the issue of nuclear waste is properly resolved. That is a very important issue indeed. Secondly, there are currently no applications for new nuclear power stations in Scotland, so the question does not arise.
I suspect that we have the capacity in Scotland to meet our energy needs through a massive increase in the use of renewable sources. I was delighted in the summer when the United Kingdom energy review agreed that as a priority, not only for Scotland but for the whole of the UK, and agreed to support us in that endeavour. At the same time, and as I have said in the chamber before, given the importance of energy supply for domestic households and businesses in Scotland, it would be silly of us at this stage to rule out any option forever.


Any morning in the McConnell kitchen:

Bridget: Do you want cornflakes or weetabix for breakfast?
Jack: I've told you time and again that I will make that decision when the time is right.
Bridget: Tea or coffee?
Jack: I have yet to see the latest scientific analysis of the relative health benefits of these comparable beverages.
Bridget: But you must eat something...
Jack: Maybe I will or maybe I won't. I will consider all the options in due course in the light of the choices made by comparable politicians both in Scotland and in the UK.
Bridget: But Jack...
Jack: Why are you pressing me on this matter? It would be silly of us to rule out any options at this stage.
Bridget: It's only cornflakes or weetabix.
Jack: I have the capacity to eat either cornflakes or weetabix. Whether cornflakes prove necessary remains to be seen. It makes no sense to rush into these decisions.
Bridget: You can't go to parliament on an empty stomach.
Jack: I will get something to eat on the way. Perhaps a bacon roll or a black pudding roll. I'll get my driver to decide...

No comments: