02 September 2016

Is Trump channelling Shakespeare?

Can a wall be beautiful?  Trump thinks so:
Donald Trump has again seized the mantle of immigration hardliner, gambling that he can win the White House with rhetoric as unyielding as the “impenetrable, physical, tall, powerful, beautiful” wall that he has promised to build across the southern border.
Perhaps he sees himself as Pyramus addressing Wall in Midsummer Night's Dream
O grim-look'd night! O night with hue so black!;

O night, which ever art when day is not!

O night, O night! alack, alack, alack,

I fear my Thisby's promise is forgot!

And thou, O wall, O sweet, O lovely wall,

That stand'st between her father's ground and mine!

Thou wall, O wall, O sweet and lovely wall,

Show me thy chink, to blink through with mine eyne!

Wall holds up his fingers

Thanks, courteous wall: Jove shield thee well for this!

But what see I? No Thisby do I see.

O wicked wall, through whom I see no bliss!

Cursed be thy stones for thus deceiving me!
And so, it will end in tears for all concerned ...

    
   
  


No comments: